|Object Name||Clock, Shelf|
|Other Name||Carved column clock|
8 day brass movement with pinion and wheel collets made of soft white metal. round top frame plates, lantern pinions. Label "Patent Eight-Day Brass Clocks, Made And Sold At Terrysville, Conn. By Eli Terry, Jr." Joseph Hurlbut, Printer, Hartford, Conn. Painted wood dial with large hole in center. Carved column and cornice case, paw feet, two doors with looking glass center section, reverse painted lower glass replaced.
Eli Terry, Jr. (1799-1841) was the eldest son of Eli Terry (1772-1852). From 1823 to 1831 he was one of the sons in Eli Terry & Sons (the other being Henry Terry), who manufactured wooden movement shelf clocks. After 1831 he made 30-hour and 8-day wooden clocks on his own. Eight-day brass clocks were added about 1833-5, about the same time that his brother Silas Burnham Terry (1807-76) began making them. The brass movements by Eli Terry, Jr. have lantern pinions with cast soft white metal collets and iron wires, and wheel collets of the same soft metal. S.B. Terry used cut steel pinions. A 12-hour count wheel is riveted to the main wheel of the strike train.
|Maker||Eli Terry, Jr.|
|Material||wood, brass, glass|
|Place of Origin||Terry's Ville, Connecticut, USA|
|Notes||Updated by Cara M. Lower 8/12/14|