|Object Name||Clock, Shelf|
|Other Name||Beehive, Round Gothic|
8 day fusee beehive with "standard" movement, stamped No. 4515 ( see Thomas E. Grimshaw "Fusee Beehive Clock," Bulletin No. 207, pp. 327-367; Grimshaw and Taylor, "History of the Early Spring Clock," Bulletin No. 285, pp. 442-443), fusees at bottom in cast iron box, Geneva stops (missing), movement supported by gong base (not original). No label or identifying marks. Zinc dial repainted, not original. Cut glass lower tablet. Round moulding at top of case front to back possibly a later addition, as well as the molding around the bottom of the case.
Previously owned by Douglas H. Shaffer (see April 1968 Bulletin No. 133, pp. 229-230)
This clock contains an 8-day spring-powered movement with blanked plates, fixed lantern pinions and rack and snail striking. It is essentially the same movement used in Brewster's weight driven clocks, but with a different escape wheel for the shorter pendulum and with stop works added. Brass springs, patented in 1836 by Joseph Shaylor Ives (1811-87), nephew of Joseph Ives (1782-1862), are contained in a one-piece cast iron housing behind the brass fusees at the bottom of the case. This is the first successful application of inexpensive American-made coiled springs to clocks, and is the first instance of the use of the reverse or detached fusee, where the cable is wound onto the winding drum from teh fusee, and may have been designed by Charles Kirk or Joseph Shaylor Ives, who both worked for Brewster around 1836. Brewster himself was not a clockmaker but was apprenticed to a clothier. He came to Bristol in 1819 and soon after was selling clocks. He purchased Charles Kirk's Race Street clock factory in 1833 and hired Kirk to run it.
|Maker||E. C. Brewster (attributed)|
|Material||Brass, wood, glass|
|Place of Origin||Bristol, Connecticut, USA|
|Notes||Updated by Cara M. Lower 8/12/14|